Vi använder kakor för att förbättra webbplatsen

Den här webbplatsen använder kakor (cookies) för att underlätta ditt besök och för att göra webbplatsen bättre. Läs mer om kakor.


Healthcare complaints

If you want to make a complaint about the healthcare you have received, you should first of all contact the healthcare provider in question.

All healthcare providers are personally responsible for achieving compliance with patient safety regulations and for monitoring their own work. The Health and Social Care Inspectorate monitors healthcare activities and professionals to ensure that they comply with applicable laws and regulations.

You cannot file an appeal in court against the healthcare services – except under special circumstances, e.g. if you request access to your own medical records. However, you can also contact the following agencies if you are not satisfied with either the healthcare provided or the behaviour of certain healthcare professionals.

Health and Social Care Inspectorate (IVO)

The Health and Social Care Inspectorate is a government agency responsible for monitoring health and medical care. You can contact the Health and Social Care Inspectorate if you or someone closely related to you have suffered a healthcare related injury or experienced deficiencies in patient safety in connection with care or treatment provided by a healthcare or dental care provider or a pharmacy. It is not just healthcare professionals that can be reported, you can also report a single incident.

For more information about: the Health and Social Care Inspectorate (IVO).

A Patients’ Advisory Committee in every county council, municipality or local authority

Every county council, municipality or local authority has a Patients’ Advisory Committee made up of politicians and officials. You can contact the Patients’ Advisory Committee in the county, municipality or region where you receive healthcare if you want to make a comment or complaint relating to your treatment, patient fees, diagnosis or medication. The Patients’ Advisory Committee has no disciplinary powers but can provide you with information and advice on what to do next.

Many county councils, municipalities and local authorities also offer the services of a patient ombudsman who can give you advice and refer you to the correct authority.

Ask your healthcare provider for the contact details of the Patients’ Advisory Committee or you can contact your county council, municipality or local authority directly. For more information, go to the website of the Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions

Regional Ethics Committees of the Association for Private Dental Care Providers in Sweden

If you are dissatisfied with the dental care provided by a private dentist who is a member of the Association for Private Dental Care Providers in Sweden, you can lodge your complaint with one of the Association’s Regional Ethics Committees. The Regional Ethics Committees are appointed to settle disputes between patients and dental care providers.

For contact details of the Regional Ethics Committee, please contact the Association for Private Dental Care Providers’ Information Services.

Medical Products Agency

The Medical Products Agency is a national authority responsible for the regulation and monitoring of pharmaceuticals and herbal remedies in addition to other medicinal products. You can contact the Medical Products Agency if you have a complaint about a pharmaceutical product.

Equality Ombudsman

If you feel you that you are subject to discrimination from the healthcare services on the basis of gender, gender identity, gender expression, ethnic origin, religion or other beliefs, sexual orientation, disability or age, you can report this to the Equality Ombudsman (Diskrimineringsombudsmannen (DO)). The Equality Ombudsman can pursue a complaint through court or reach a settlement between the claimant and defendant. For more information and contact details, go to the website of The Equality Ombudsman